I. Information Collection
"Non-Personally Identifiable Information" can be technical information or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or interests. Non-personally identifiable information does NOT identify you personally. Here are some examples of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the Site:
We collect the above non-personally identifiable information from all visitors to this Site. If you do not want APMA to have access to this non-personally identifiable information, please do not visit this Site.
II. Information Use
We use your personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information that is collected on the Site primarily for the following purposes:
Non-personally identifiable information is used as described above and in other ways as permitted by applicable laws, including combining non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information (except with respect to non-personally identifiable information collected from children age thirteen or under).
III. Sharing and Disclosure of Information
We may share or disclose your personally identifiable information in the following instances:
(1) We may rent, sell or share your mailing address and name with partners or third parties we believe may be of interest to you. These third parties are prohibited from using this information for any other purpose than the one specified in the applicable use agreement.
(2) We may, for the purpose of recruitment and retention activities, provide your personally identifiable information, including your e-mail address, to recognized component and affiliated organizations. If you do not want us to share your personally identifiable information in this manner, please do not provide this information to us or request that your e-mail address be removed from all lists and/or from APMA's database by calling 1.800.ASK.APMA.
(3) We may share your information in order to fulfill a service to you. For example, if you are a member of the Site, we may use your information to provide you membership services and information. In addition, if you e-mail us a question, we may use your e-mail address to process your request and respond to your question. Also, if you are entering a sweepstakes or contest, we may use your personally identifiable information in order to fulfill the terms of that promotion. This means that we may share the information for prize fulfillment purposes or mail carriers. We also may share your information with the co-sponsor of that promotion.
(4) We may share your information with unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain this Site and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, order processing and fulfillment, providing customer service, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on APMA's behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions). We seek to ensure that these unaffiliated third parties will not use the personally identifiable information for any other purpose than to provide the administrative services for which they are responsible. Because such unaffiliated third-party service providers that help us administer this Site will have access to users' personally identifiable information, if you do not wish for our unaffiliated third-party service providers to have access to your information, please do not register or submit any personally identifiable information to us.
(5) We may share your information to comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
(6) We may share your information with third parties as part of any reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of our assets.
(7) We may share your information to track and analyze non-identifying and aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our visitors and provide such information to third parties, such as third party statisticians for the analysis of the data.
(8) In order to protect against potential fraud, we may verify with third parties the information collected from the Site. In the course of such verification, we may receive personally identifiable information about you from such services. In particular, if you use a credit card or debit card to purchase services with us, we may use card authorization and fraud screening services to verify that your card information and address matches the information that you supplied to us, and that the card has not been reported as lost or stolen.
IV. E-mails from APMA
APMA sends "transactional or relational e-mail messages," which include, but are not limited to, electronically transmitted news, informational bulletins, meetings and member benefits announcements, and surveys. You may opt-out of a specific e-mail list by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any e-mail message sent to you from APMA or its component or affiliated organizations.
V. Accessing Your Personally Identifiable Information and Privacy Preferences
We provide you the opportunity to access and/or provide directions to us regarding your personally identifiable information to ensure it is correct, accurate and current, or to delete your personally identifiable information from our databases. You may request that we delete information collected about you by sending us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You also may remove your name from our third party mailing list by calling 301-581-9200.
VI. Forums, Chat Rooms and Other Public Posting Areas
Please note that any information you include in a message that you post to any chat room, forum or other public posting area is available to anyone with Internet access. If you do not want people to know your e-mail address, for example, do not include it in any message you post publicly. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DISCLOSING ANY INFORMATION IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS, AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT YOU DISCLOSE IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS, AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS. APMA reserves the right to monitor comments and posts left in any chat room, forum or other public posting area and remove any content it deems inappropriate.
IX. User ID and Password
Aspects of the Site require the use of a user ID and password. The user ID and password enables APMA to verify your identity and thereby, allows you access to member information and MyAPMA account and prevents unauthorized access.
X. No Guarantee
No data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, APMA cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, or to or from our online services.
XI. Children Age Thirteen or Under
APMA does not knowingly solicit data online from or market to children under the age of 13.
XII. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Beginning on January 1, 2005, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding APMA's disclosure of personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us:
American Podiatric Medical Association
9312 Old Georgetown Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: (301) 571-9200
Fax: (301) 530-2752
Effective Date: June 1, 2012
Last Updated: June 1, 2012